Saturday, January 15, 2011

BREAD AND BUTTERS


The whole world seems snowy, Y’all. Now’s not the pickling season, but a quick trip to your local grocery for a big handful of Kirbys, a quick slice and cook, and your kitchen will smell like August in the South. These are SO easy, and can be made one day and served proudly forth the next, with a little clump on your suppertable tonight, just for a taste, you know.

This will make a nice Tupperware quart, for the fridge, and by the time they’re good and cold, they taste like PICKLES!

Eight or ten nice-sized little Kirbys---cut a little slice off the ends
A big sweet onion, cut into quarters, then thinly sliced
A good palmful of Kosher or pickling salt
A cup of sugar
Half a cup of vinegar
¼ t. Turmeric
Tablespoon of Mustard seeds
Teaspoon or so of chopped pimiento, if you like it---just for the pretty of it

Slice Kirbys the pickle-thickness you like. Toss them and the onion with the salt, cover them with about the same amount of ice, and let sit a couple of hours.

Bring sugar, vinegar, turmeric and mustard seeds to a boil; drain cucumbers in a colander, and rinse til ice is gone. Put them into the pot, bring to a boil, then remove from heat, stir in the pimiento (opt.), and let cool in the pot. Store them in a Tupperware in the fridge, and every meal, you’ll think you’re on a Summer picnic.




And for an addictive adjunct: Open that Tupperware and stir in about a third as many sliced pickled jalapenos as you have pickles---I don't know what you call them, but somebody say Hot DAMMM!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, oh my! I do believe I found a new friend in you! A quick read of your blog and I'm already so excited to read more. I too love to can and have been wanting to make my own pickles, I love beans and eat a lot of them, I love dogs (all animals really and our taste in movies, books and plays are so alike.

    I've put you down as one of my favorite blogs and will be back tomorrow to read more!

    I also love your other blog too! So sorry you are sick though. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joanne, for ALL of that!!! I sensed our tastes-alike in your post on Downton Abbey. I'm so glad you decided to join us, and hope you'll visit often!!

    I'm a Cottage Girl at heart, and make do with dolling up a little Fifties Ranch in cottage clothes---chair skirts and florals and pale hues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this made my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete